Friday, March 10, 2006

Just FYI...



This is Watteau's "Embarkment for Cythera". Not the Departure for Cythera, which is what it says all over my art history exam. I'm a moron. That's ten points at least. Other than that, I think it went well. Except for a slight van Eyck debacle, but I prefer not to think about that.

Only an hour and a half and I can get the hell out of here. And don't have to come back until next Monday. WHOO!!! Of course, I could be gone now if my prof wasn't threatening us all with expulsion if we don't show up for this damn Parliament video. *sigh* Maybe there will be hot British guys. My loving sister suggested I just close my eyes and listen to the accents. You can tell she respects me. *eye roll* Maybe there will be some hot fabergeeggs... :D

Saw Mary sing the entire Requiem last night- and they did a remarkably good job. I was kind of expecting a rather amateurish version (nothing against your voice, hon...), but it was really, really good. My recording was from the Berlin Philharmonic, and I really think that they did just as well. Of course, I didn't get home until nine-fifteen, and then had to clean up the kitchen where, as usual, the rest of the family had apparently exploded upon eating dinner because there were way more dishes than any three people should ever create in one meal. Especially when all one eats is prepackaged food. Sheesh. And then I started to study the last half of my exam review, because it had just been posted hours earlier and I spend the majority of the afternoon assembling the stairmaster.

I'm really smart. I'm not tooting my own horn, I'm just saying that I'm every bit as intelligent as most people. But it took a stairmaster to have me sitting on the basement floor surrounded by bolts and washers and various other tooly things talking to myself while my little brother looks desperately for an exit. When it came, it looked pretty easy. A big box, so I figured that all the pieces were pretty big and therefore there would not be much putting together going on. Ha. Not so. And then I read that little instruction booklet (after tossing the complimentary "Guide to Healthy Eating"...crazies. The reason I bought the damn thing is so I can continue to eat my chocolate muffins with no adverse affects!), and I figured I could do it.

I was wrong. Really, really wrong. First, I had to figure out how to work the damn wrench. Which didn't go well, let me tell you. And then the pieces didn't go together that well. Like we ended up with a coupe of extra screws left over. And I'm not entirely sure where they were supposed to go. Well, actually, I know that there are only three of the four recommended bolts in the base, because we couldn't get the other one in. But I think three is enough to hold it together. You should have seen the look of horror on John's face when I announced I would now be connecting the wires. It was rather amusing, actually.

But we got it together, and it really works well. Colleen did it for six minutes, burned almost as many calories as she did in half an hour on the treadmill, and then promply got off and announced that stairs were the devil and she was going to die. :) I can't wait to actually use it. The assembly was my workout for yesterday. :)

I'm going to go kill time before the British Parliament...oh, maybe Tony Blair will make an appearance. Every time I see him now I think of Bridget Jones. And then I start to laugh. That actually might not be good in government...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You ccould have said that picture was anyting and I would have believed you!!!:):):) I wish I could have seen the stairmaster assembly process....sounds like a hoot:)....Healthy eating....oh yeah I have my own version of that!!!!!! Have a great weekend..you have earned it...have fun with the stairs!!:):):) Did you tape any Jerry B last night???

rockford said...

you know, I have never actually seen a family of three explode all over a kitchen but I do know what you mean about the nightly mess -- I do not get it - if one uses a plate one should rinse and load a plate -- seems like common sense to me!!!! the stairmaster project was unbelievable - i was so impressed that you guys could do it - i would not know where to begin and carrying it down to the basement would certainly have been beyond me from the start!!! congrats!!!!! hope you enjoy and can still eat your muffins....healthy eating - look where it got me:) so much for no red meat, etc.....enjoy this wonderful thing called SPRING BREAK!!!!!!!!!