Monday, November 12, 2007

Personal Day, I has it.

Well, not officially. And I did miss four lectures. Don't care. Was feeling ill. And tired. And had lots of stuff to do. None of which I actually did, but I did watch Brothers and Sisters from last night (I collapsed at eight thirty. Shut up. That's totally normal.) and read half of Wicked.


Not quite as responsible as studying the fifty images that are all Greek to me (HA! They are all Greek!!!) for art history or trying to decipher the First Intermediate Period, which is actually massively confusing and not easy to understand like the Second Intermediate, which consists basically of "Hyksos. Chariots. Take over. Bad." That? I can do.


Nomarchs? Not so much.




Had a lovely day, though. Slept till quarter to nine, which feels like noon when you've been up at six for two months straight, and then did actually study for awhile at the doctor. But mostly with the Wicked reading.

It was about 60 degrees, too, absolutely beautiful. I took it as a sign of God yelling at me to get my ass in gear and take the damn pictures for the damn ocean project already and if you had done it in September when it was assigned you wouldn't be on the freaking beach in NOVEMBER MORON trying to press down the damn shutter with frozen hands.
Well, except God used significantly fewer obscenities.

So Colleen and I did go to the beach, and took my pictures, which are lovely and already uploaded to Flickr and shown on the sidebar, feel free to admire. Unless you're in Geo Sci 150, in which case HANDS OFF THEY'RE COPYRIGHTED ASSHOLE!!! *ahem*

Then we went to Starbucks. I had been outside for like forty whole minutes and was beginning to feel slightly natural. Had to nip that in the bud. And a gingerbread latte did that quite well.

Oooh- I have something else scientific to talk about!!! Well, kind of. About as scientific as I get. But still.

Anyway, I was watching something on TV the other day, and there was a female scientist talking about something, and it struck me how awesome it would be to be like that.

Because (and this is going to sound mean, but read the rest, I promise it's really not), most female scientists (and I've seen a lot of really smart women in the science fields- I was home schooled) look alike in that they obviously don't spend a whole lot of time on appearance. No makeup, glasses, sensible clothes and shoes, and usually long hair pulled back in a ponytail.

As someone who gets up and spends the first hour of her day in an insanely self-involved attempt to acquire some self-worth through full makeup, defrizzed hair, moisturized skin, perfumed pulse points, curled eyelashes, dewy lips, shirts that accentuate my *ahem* assets but don't look whorish, and heels that are permanently screwing up my back, MY GOD it would be nice to be able to be secure without that.

So bravo, women who are smart enough to know that none of that matters, especially when you're freaking brilliant, saving the world, and probably much, MUCH happier than I am at the end of the struggle with my hair cream. I'm sending you any daughters I may have, because you will probably do a far better job raising them than I ever could.

Want to finish today with a quick book wrap-up, even though probably no one cares. But I do, and it's my blog. *stamps foot*

I finished Mr. Jefferson's Women on Friday, and it kind of sucked. I am no fan of Mr. Jefferson, as everyone who has ever talked to me will know, but this book portrayed him as an insipid, undeveloped, adolescent misogynist. And I really don't think that is correct. Almost all men were not quite as accepting of women at that time, but there's no way he could have been around women like Abigail Adams and Dolly Madison and think that women were merely objects to be (according to the author) awkwardly adored stalker-like from afar, and then ditched after what was apparently an 18th century one night stand. Ugh.

Then moved on to Rhett Butler's People, the authorized retelling of Gone with the Wind. Which was amazing. Don't get me wrong. Loved it. Loved Rhett, and I don't think they screwed Scarlett up like some of the reviews said, because she wasn't in it enough. Loved everything about it.

But it wasn't Gone with the Wind. The stories were parallel, and occasionally major events from Gone with the Wind would show up in this narrative, and I found myself going "NO! I want more! Bring back Scarlett!!!", and obviously they couldn't because it wasn't Gone with the Wind.

But that's okay. Because nothing will ever be like that, and I guess I wouldn't want it to be.
But the ending? It was good. Really good. :)

3 comments:

CMT said...

I like the part about women who are fulfilled in themselves without a face full of make-up. Bravo.

Anonymous said...

yeah for personal days......glad you had a good one and your pictures are lovely!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I sure enjoyed your company on your personal day....and your pictures are just terrific!!! So, it would be much easier to be a female scientist, huh??? Like those women at the south pole??? (Well, there just keeping warm enough to stay alive would be your goal no matter how smart you are or are not!!!!)Glad you liked the books but oh so sorry that you had to read them - and study - at the doctor:( --- although I will always remember that little girl with pigtails and her two pets with those mean little guys attacking them - see, I learned too!!!