Monday, May 01, 2006

McCarthyism

Dammit, why do I miss all the interesting stuff in history??? The moon landing, Watergate, rabid senators hunting down commies- I'm too young for all of it. I get stuck with depressing terrorism. And while the lovely descriptive newspapers were responsible for my Birds and Bees education (and my sister's, come to think of it, when I destroyed her childlike innocence described the scandal to her), Monicagate didn't exactly shape my youth. What am I going to tell my children about? "Fall of the Berlin Wall? Nah, I was two. But there was this anthrax scare...Most of it was teenagers and baby powder though..." They're not going to be very enthused. I don't blame them.

I began thinking about my woefully inadequate current events youth (through no fault of my parents, because God knows they dragged exposed us to massive amounsts of historical stuff) as we did our little preliminary stuff because we get to watch Good Night and Good Luck in government this week. Frankly, I don't think that we need a primer to appreciate George Clooney, but whatever.

The fifties would be so much more fun. Except then I wouldn't have CSI. Or VH1. Or People magazine. In fact, my Inner Pop-Culture Whore is now informing me that she doesn't particularly care what world events we get to see, as long as she is being constantly bombarded by juicy tidbits from other people's lives. She is content with having no life experiences of her own while there are other, prettier people having life experiences elsewhere that she can read about. My Inner Pop-Culture Whore is not very bright.

(Icons won't work. I am crazy with rage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Teeny, tiny bit of celebrity gossip to shut my Inner Pop-Culture Whore up long enough to finish class...bitch will not be quiet. She will not rest until she knows whether Britney is "Baby One More Time" or just retaining water. Inner Pop-Culture Whore also likes bad puns.

Oh good Lord. The judicial system just dropped ten points in my esteem. Please tell me they have better things to do than this???

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh believe me you did nooooootttttt want to live during Watergate....there was absolutely NOTHING on TV for what seemed to be FOREVER!!!!!..If you didn't want to watch Watergate....no I DIDN'T...than you had nothing to watch....cable...what was cable...not invented that is what cable was!!!!!! Yeah Brit and Kfed need one more child to drop and/or drive off in a huff with!!!!!!...no doubt going for parents of the year!!!! I think this year the number of parents trying to get that top prize is just toooooooooo many to count!!!!:):):)

rockford said...

Excuse me - do you remember living through September 11th??? As I recall that is a day that would stick in your mind and you do have quite a story to tell your children...Watergate was pretty interesting to live through though--I remember carrying my "way cool transistor radio" to work to listen to Nixon's resignation speech....whoa, that dates me, doesn't it???....you are right - it is scary to think that the Supreme Court has such time on its hands that ol'Anna Nicole gets her day in court - I'm sure there is a Constitutional issue buried there somewhere but it just does not jump out quite as quickly as the "celebrity" issues jump out...I don't get it....who is that little pop culture **** living inside of you who is so interested in Brittany and Kfed - and why do "famous" people now have little trendy nicknames like "Kfed" and those combined benefer type names - when did that all start???? where have i been living....:)

Anonymous said...

There must be a "pop culture **** gene" that some family members got and some didn't......rumor has it that there is a shallow Aunt who just loves her trash shows..(Xtra Takes You There)...and won't fly without her trash magazines....we won't use any names....:):):) ...September 11 didn't get as much TV time as that damn Watergate.....!!!!!!! Wouldn't you have loved to see the faces of the Justices when old Anna walked in.....that must have just been a sight!!!!:):):)